Friday, April 20, 2012

Reflections

As the semester is winding down, I've been doing a lot of reflecting on the past year. For those who don't know, this past year was my first year as a full-time college instructor. Basically, I'm on the path to fulfill my dream career, which is to be a full-time tenured college/university professor. I still need to go back to school and get my final degree (PhD), but for now I'm gaining valuable experience that will hopefully aid in my getting accepted at the university of my choice (for PhD work). I'd also like to have a chance at getting an assistantship so I don't have to pay for school.

Anyway, I've really enjoyed this year. It's been frustrating and challenging, but I'm happy. Here is what I've learned about teaching college:

1.) For the most part, college freshmen are lost and have no concept of what it means to study outside of class. They need LOTS of guidance or most of them will fail.
2.) It's not always about teaching the subject material (in my case, Music Appreciation). It is also about teaching skills that will come handy later in college and life.
3.) On that note, there are a lot of students who really care about what you (as a teacher) say. There are also a lot who don't care. Don't take it personally, just understand you're helping some. The others will learn eventually. If they don't at least you tried.
 4.) You may feel like you're having a bad day teaching. You probably are. But, generally speaking, the students don't know that. Bear through it. There will be better days.
 5.) Don't be afraid to use media (youtube, for example). The students love it and you connect with them. It's also easier ;)
 6.) Stick to the rules you've established. If you bend for one student, others find out and begin creeping in on your weakness.  Generally, students will accept your answer without argument. They just ask to see if they can break you down. Don't break!
7.) Have fun and be human. Students like knowing you can talk to them as humans and not like they are beneath you. But, refer to number 6: don't cross a line that makes them think they can get whatever they want.
8.) The more work you give your students, the more work you have to grade. Not that it's a bad thing, but keep it in mind.
9.)As a university employee, you get a lot of perks. You get to use the library, gym, go to speeches and presentations by people in all different scholarly fields (for free!!), attend sporting events, take classes, etc. Take advantage of it.
10.) Listen to your students. They've got some really great ideas and things to say! They are so young and excited. Let them help keep you grounded yet excited about what you're doing.
11.) Being a college teacher is the best job. Ever. Period.

Now, things I want to improve for next year:
1.) Being more prepared for lectures. This should be easier if you consider that last year I stepped into this job with all of one week to leave summer camp in Missouri and move all my stuff from Louisiana to Alabama, unpack (find work clothes, mainly), and attend 3 days of new faculty orientation/meetings. Then classes started. It was a hectic beginning, but was much smoother this spring.
2.) In keeping with number 1, I want to step into the fall semester will all lectures planned, tests made, and assignments developed. Understandably, things will change and I'll have to make adjustments, but I think it would be nice to have something to change rather than just coming up with plans as I go. I may not like this setup, but I'd like to give it a try.
3.) Work on creating my own book to teach this class. I don't particularly like the one we use and no publishers have sent anything that seems worthy of change. It needs to cover all the important facts and aspects of music, discuss female composers, and be affordable!
4.) Register for classes. Not sure what classes, but I get 9 hours (free of charge), so might as well take advantage.
5.) Attend more university events. Now that I'm not living 1 hour from the university, I should be able to attend more things; like sporting events, presentations, concerts, etc.
6.) Get a CV together that includes test examples, lectures, student evaluations, etc. I want to be prepared for applying to grad school.

All this being said, I need to leave this blog and head over to my emails and the pile of assignments that need to be graded. How's your school year been?


1 comment:

  1. Oooh, great plans! We're just about to kick off the third and final term of the school year here....the end feels a long way off!

    ReplyDelete