Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Question 1

So, to start things off, I should ask my first question:

Why is it so important for the U.S. to pay for problems in every other country, when we have HUGE financial problems of our own? I feel like this is similar to a family who struggles to support their children, but when another family comes along and needs money, they readily hand it over, leaving their own children to suffer.

Granted, not every person in this country is suffering, but there are a lot: child hunger (in our OWN country), homeless who need help getting on their feet, people on welfare who abuse the system (yes, this is another topic on its own), elderly who can't pay their medical bills, the middle class suffering drastically (I know, I'm one of them and I live in a community full of middle class people STRUGGLING to survive), and the natural disasters that have recently hit our country (tornadoes in Alabama and the Midwest, flooding along the Mississippi, fires in the east, snow storms in the northeast, and the list goes on)

I'm not asking for government handouts. Not at all. But, it seems the government could consider spending money on programs to benefit and assist some of our issues rather than handing it out to other countries, some of which have NEVER been successful at maintaining a stable economy or government infrastructure.

Oh, and speaking of natural disasters, where is everyone else when we get hit? Does the news in the rest of the world not mention us? Where are donations from people and other governments to help us?

I understand we've been a superpower for quite some time. I'm not saying we shouldn't be. But, it just seems that at this point in time we should consider taking at look at ourselves before trying to solve the rest of the world's problems. And, I don't think that would be selfish. In fact, it seems rather pompous of us to assume we can be there to assist everyone else when we aren't managing our own business.

Am I wrong? Can someone please give me a point of view that will make sense? 

No comments:

Post a Comment