Sunday, March 4, 2012

Zombie 5K

Did the Zombie Run 5K yesterday. It was HARD. I've never experienced mud like I did on that track. Because of the rain, and the fact that the trail used was (already) a muddy dirt track, the whole thing was nothing but sopping, sticky red clay mud. Fortunately, it came out of almost everything I was wearing. My socks are stained and the insides of my shoes have a bit of stain, but overall everything cleaned up really nicely.

It took me 1hr 20min to run the 5K. There were a few reasons it took so long:
1.) The mud. It was like running in slippery sand.
2.) The obstacles (naturally, they'll slow you down)
3.) The zombies (duh)
4.) Trail running (much harder than road and treadmill running)
My average time on a TREADMILL is 45 minutes, so 80min is to be expected with these type of conditions.

The biggest thing I'm taking from this is that I'd like to practice running on trails more. The day before the race I bought a new pair of running shoes (that I did NOT wear on race day). While talking to the salesperson (who also fitted me for shoes and got me a pair that will work best for my stride), we discussed trail running. Apparently it's not only better for your joints (knew that already), but it also give you a much better overall workout. You are forced to use your core and arms for balance, so you're working on full body rather than mostly legs (street running). Plus, it's nicer to be in nature!

I plan on doing more running over the next few months so I can run a 5K without stopping. I'm going to sign up for some 5Ks and hopefully a 10K or two. Maybe by October/November I can start training for a 1/2 marathon.

Now for the not so good news. I missed a workout last week :(  For the first time since starting P90, I actually didn't do a day's exercise. That's kinda sad, but I don't fee HORRIBLE. I pushed myself really hard with the 5K, so at least the week wasn't a total waste. However, I've got to keep on track this next week. My family will be in town Friday-Monday. Their visit will be a big distraction; however, I'm determined to keep focused. I may alter my workouts so my sister and/or mother can join, but I'll still do something!

Gotta stay focused!

1 comment: