Monday, February 20, 2012

30 days and nights + Lent

I'd like to take a minute and reflect on the past 30 days of Power 90. I'll do this in list form because I like making lists.

1.) I did it. Now for 60 more. If I can do the first 30 WITHOUT missing a single workout (success), I can do all 90.

2.) I can't believe it's been 30 days. Seriously. I remember looking at my calendar thinking it would take forever and I'm already 1/3 of the way through.

3.) I took a picture (which is what you're instructed to do). To be honest, I don't see much change. HOWEVER, I can do some things (physically) that I couldn't do before. So that is a small step. I can only think that there will be more physical/body changes (for the better) in the second month.

4.) I'm pretty sure I can add to this workout regime and see positive effects but not over exert myself. I'll get to that more when I discuss lent.

5.) It's not as hard as you think it will be. Once the first few weeks are over, your body gets used to the workouts and it becomes more mental than physical. That's not to say I'm super fit, but I can tell when I'm having a bad day because my mind says I don't want to do it. On days when I am mentally ready to work out, I have fabulous work-outs (and those exercises are the same as on my "bad" days).

6.) My boyfriend is amazing for listening to me talk through this every day. I've had nights where I am super discouraged and frustrated, but he is ever encouraging and supportive.

Now for Lent:
I come from a southern Baptist background, so I wasn't raised honoring lent in the way other religious groups do. However, after living in a heavily populated Catholic area, I began participating in the lent season more for personal evaluation and discipline than anything religious. It's actually become a time of year I look forward to. To me, giving up something bad or adding something positive to your life is easier during Lent because it's such a short period of time. However, it's long enough to become a (hopefully) good habit AND allow you to see how much self motivation, determination and discipline you have. Anyway, there is no need to explain myself. Point is, I've got two things I'm doing for lent that you'll probably read about later on.

1.) I'm adding 1 hour of cardio to my workouts per week. Ideally, I'd like to add 1.5 hours (30 extra minutes, 3 days a week). But I know that just adding the extra 30 minutes two days OR 20 minutes 3 days is going to be enough of a challenge. Hopefully this will aid in my goals to run a half marathon AND do a triathlon. I've been doing some of this over the past week. It's not that bad, actually. Once I've already done the P90 workout, I just go straight outside and add walking, running, a combination of the two, etc. Plus the P90 workout isn't so hard that I'm COMPLETELY whipped by the end. There is usually still enough energy to add 20-30 mins.

2.) I'm getting rid of sugar in my tea/coffee. This is mainly so I'll be able to drink coffee without sugar. I add way too much and HATE artificial sweeteners. Cream/milk is allowed, but sugar isn't. I've been working on this some, but it's time to be serious. The only reason I'm not adding honey to tea is because once I stop adding honey and sugar to tea/coffee, I'll have completely eliminated all calorie containing drinks (besides my health shakes and wine--which those don't really count. I'm talking about sodas, sweet tea, sugary juices, etc.). This doesn't mean I'll forever quit having honey in tea. I understand honey is good for you and all. I'm mainly hoping to get rid of the extra calories for now and stop depending on sugar in coffee.

So, that's it. 30 days of P90 under my belt. Lenten season is on it's way. I'm doing it big. No cheat days---Ash Wednesday through Easter without any breaks. That will also ALMOST be the end of P90! Whoop! Just one more day to enjoy my sugary coffee! Glad it's a work day :)

No comments:

Post a Comment